Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mind over Matter

Everyone who knows me or who reads my blogs knows that I preach health and fitness. All my decisions and planning everyday is based on when I will get a chance for my own workout, when I will eat, what I will eat, etc. Even out at the restaurant for my "cheat meal"of the week, I plan what I will be eating that will not be so horrible for me, like no sauces, no fried foods, veggies instead of fries. This is a lifestyle that I have been working on for the last 10 years of my life.

I have not always been this way. I was a very unhealthy person, never worked out and ate very poorly. I slowly started changing my ways since I realized that I was on a very unhealthy path of future obesity and heart disease. Putting on weight is a very fast process, getting it off is not so fast and not easy....at all. I had many slips over the years until I realized what works and what does not work for me.

What is frustrating to me these days is the people who quit so easily. They like the thought of losing weight and getting in shape, but as soon as they are pushed a little past their discomfort zone, they quit! I used to be there and I understand what it takes, but quitting is never the answer. Especially after one try at something new that you are not accustomed to.

What most of us these days need to do is put our minds into it, not just our bodies. Your mind is the biggest factor in getting in shape. If you tell yourself that you "can't" or its "too hard", your body will give up along with your mind. You cannot succeed at something if you quit when things get tough and things will never get easier if you do not keep trying.

Suppose you want to start training for a 5km run. You go out there and try to run as fast as possible and only last for .5km and quit. The experience was so hard and awful that you never do it again. There are other ways completing this goal, for example, run slowly for .5km and walk for .5km and eventually increasing speed and distance until you can complete the 5km without stopping. This is the same for pushups, lunges, skipping, stair climbing and just about anything else you can think of. If you can only do one pushup, do one then take a break, then do another one. That is how you get better and stronger!

Another thing to do is choose your activity wisely. If you are out of shape and have not worked out in 1 year, maybe start out slowly at a gym with a trainer instead of signing up for outdoor boot camp. If I heard the words "Boot Camp" 10 years ago, I would have run away in the opposite direction screaming my head off because that to me sounds like the hardest thing ever!

You need to fill your head with positive words and phrases like "I can do this" and "I will do 5 more". These are the things I tell all of my clients, and when I work with them individually and not in a group setting, I do not let them say "can't". I always say they can and 99% of the time they do, and without too many complaints at the end.

I am all about the tough love, and you basically need to suck it up, go out there and bust your butt! You will never get in shape and lose weight if you sit on your couch eating chips and wishing you could look better by the pool this summer. Go out there, find a trainer, join a gym, join boot camp, find a partner, find anything that will motivate you and just do what you need to do in order to lose weight and get in shape!

No comments:

Post a Comment