Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Squash, My New Favorite!

These days I am on a major squash kick, cooking up all sorts of different kinds. Right now my favorite are butternut squash and spaghetti squash.

Squash is a great, low calorie food and a great substitute for high carbohydrate meals. I never eat pasta because for one, not really a favorite of mine and also if I eat too much pasta I actually feel sick. I also love squash for dinner because it is filling and a good side dish.

Spaghetti squash became a fast favorite at my household lately which is a surprise since my husband just loves his pasta. Also so easy to make! I actually make it in the microwave because I like things done fast, especially if I am hungry. I have also made it in the oven which can take 45 minutes at 400 degrees.

To prep a spaghetti squash, poke holes with a knife and put in microwave for 10 minutes and that is it! Wait a few minutes and cut in half. It will be very hot so grab an oven mitt or a towel to hold the squash, scoop the seeds out with a spoon and with a fork, pull the squash away from the skin and it will resemble spaghetti. While the squash was cooking, I chopped up red onion, peppers, tomatoes, garlic and a hot pepper and fried it all together with a little olive oil and it was a delicious and low calorie meal! 1/2 cup of spaghetti squash is only 25 calories, 4 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber and 1 gram of protein. Top with chicken or tuna for extra protein.

Butternut squash is so delicious as well. You can actually peel this one before cooking with a vegetable peeler. Cut the ends off, peel then cut in half. Scoop out seeds and chop up the squash in cubes. Mix with a little olive oil, sea salt and pepper and cook in oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Yum! I eat this all by itself. 1/2 cup of butternut squash is 41 calories, 10 grams of carbohydrates, 2.5 grams of fiber and 1 gram of protein.

Try it today for healthy, low calorie meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment