A lot of people I know do not drink enough water and are dehydrated. There are also a lot of people who like to drink their calories which includes soda, specialty coffees and alcohol. What these people do not know or are in denial of are the extra sugars, fats and chemicals that they are putting in their body which is making them gain weight.
As a child, I never liked to drink soda pop. I thought it tasted funny and could not figure out why everyone liked it so much. I just stuck to water and milk for as long as I remembered. Now when I think about this, I consider myself lucky to not have started with a bad habit in my early years.
Recent research have shown that the common preservative used in carbonated drinks can switch off essentail parts of DNA, which may bring on premature aging and trigger diseases associated with old age. No one wants to look older than they really are. I think this point alone is a good enough reason to stop drinking pop.
The preservative sodium benzoate has been used for many years by the soft drink industries. Sodium benzoate is used to prevent mold in drinks like Coca-Cola, Oasis and Dr. Pepper. It is also used in pickles and sauces. It has been discovered that when sodium benzoate is mixed with vitamin C in soft drinks, it creates a carcinogenic substance. Basically when ingesting soda, you are drinking poison that creates major health problems like cancer. Soda also has been known to leach calcium from bones and cause osteoporosis. So just cutting back to diet pop is still not enough.
Just to give an example, one regular can of Coke has 8 teaspoons of sugar. Can you imagine eating 8 teaspoons of sugar from the bag? Gross.
Studies show that 75% of us are chronically dehydrated. Even mild dehydration can slow a persons metabolism by 3%. So if you want to shed some pounds, drinking 3-4 liters of water per day would be a good start. Also when we feel dehydrated, we often mistake thirst for hunger. So most of us will eat more when dehydrated and gain more weight.
These are some random facts that I am sure that most of us may have read on the internet, but I will post it anyways. Not sure if these are true, but I am sure some can be tested out!
1. In many states the Highway Patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the trunk to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.
2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days.
3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the 'real thing' sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.
4. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. It will dissolve a nail in about four days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase of osteoporosis.
5. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial trucks must use a Hazardous Material place cards reserved for highly corrosive materials.
So who wants a glass of water?