Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Sunday, April 10, 2011

My top 10 Health and Fitness Favorites

I have a list of things that I just love and can't live without, and I will share with everyone.

1. High Intensity Interval Training

I really do not like continuous cardio at all. The thought of walking on the treadmill or sitting on that bike is not only boring to me, it just feels plain useless. Unless you are seriously breaking a sweat, then most likely it is useless to you as well. I like to make my cardio sessions as short and as hard as possible.

I love running the Rutland stairs here in Kelowna! 20-25 minutes of intense cardio and you are done! Not only I break a sweat, I am shaky and my legs are toast afterwards. I feel like I really pushed myself hard when I run these stairs. The Rutland stairs are 106 steep, continuous stairs that totally kick your butt. I run these stairs and do lunges up them for 10 rounds.


Rowing Machine

I have a love/hate relationship with the rowing machine. I row as hard and as fast as possible for 1 minute straight with a 30 second rest in between for usually 5 rounds. The rowing machine kicks my butt more than the stairs for some reason, and I think its because I am so short with a short reach.

I also like to incorporate lots of plyometrics in my weight training sessions and also skipping.

2. Supplements

My favorites are BCAA(branched chain amino acids), Glutamine and Maca Root. I swear by the BCAA's, ever since I started taking them almost 2 years ago, I have put on muscle much faster than before. Our bodies do not absorb all the protein that we ingest, so it is a nice way to get all your amino acids in.

BCAA Supplement

Also I love Glutamine because not only does it help repair your muscle, helps with joint pain and keeps your immune system in check as well. I take a double dose of Glutamine, especially over winter when all the colds and flu's are going around.


Maca Root Supplement
Maca root is in a class all on its own. Maca root looks like a parsnip and is grown in the Andes of Peru and Bolivia. Maca increases energy without acting as a stimulant, and also is filled with amino acids, vitamin's A, B1, B2, B3, B12, C, D and E and minerals. Maca is also known to balance hormones in women and act as a libido enhancer.

3. Oatmeal

I love oatmeal! I rarely eat something different for breakfast. It feels like a comfort food for me, and it is nice to eat something warm when I get up in the morning. I love oatmeal with blueberries, cinnamon and stevia. I also like to make pancakes with oatmeal.

4. Food Scale


This is my exact food scale!

I love my food scale! Keeps me in line with my protein and carbohydrate intake. It is nice to know how much I am eating instead of eyeballing my food. I use it all the time.

5. Gym Boss Interval Timer


I just got this and cannot believe I didn't purchase this before! It is so great and mindless to use. You can strap it on your arm or clip it on your shirt. So great to use for interval training without having to look at a watch or the clock.

6. Lululemon


I have shopped at Lululemon for 11 years now. I love their clothes. They are comfortable, fashionable and they last! I have shopped at many different places for work out clothes and have not found too many that last as long as Lululemon. Only problem is staying off the Lululemon website since they have free shipping.....

7. Johnny's Meats

There are two Johnny's Meats in Kelowna, and I love shopping there because their chicken and turkey is free range. Food these days can be quite questionable and I have decided that I will not buy anymore meat that is not free range or pumped with hormones.

8. Acupuncture

I am amazed on how much acupuncture has helped me this year. It has cleared up all my injuries. I was told by a health professional that I would not be able to work my shoulders ever again because they are injured. I went to acupuncture hoping for a cure and I got it. My muscles in my shoulders were just over used and tight, and just with one session my shoulders were cured! I went a few more times for maintenance and have gone for some other treatments as well and have never been disappointed. I am now stronger than ever and can lift heavier than before. It is uncomfortable, especially if you do have an injury but it is well worth it. In Kelowna I recommend Paula at Brix Family Chiropractic.

9. Ipod

I cannot live without my Ipod and if I were to lose it tomorrow, I would just go and buy another one right away. Not only is it for my own workouts, I have all my group fitness music on there. So if I did lose it, I would feel quite lost and freaked out, lol!

10. Weight Training


Last but definitely not the least, I love love LOVE weight training! I would never stop ever! I love the feeling of lifting heavy and getting stronger. I love the way weight training has sculpted my body over the years and made me lean. Weight training is the key to increasing your metabolism and also building muscle and overall keeping your body healthy. And girls, you won't get bulky by lifting weights, I am proof of this!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I too have a love hate relationship with the rowing machine. It hurts so bad, I have tendonitis in my elbow and that always hurts.

    Biking indoors is so boring, but if that is all you have then it works. I just hate to see people not actually working it. You can burn a serious sweat biking if you just put effort in. Most I've seen do not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im getting into weight training more now and less cardio...it was not useless cuz i did it intensly, but i want muscle tone...thank you for your tips...i respect your opinions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I'm a new reader of your blog.
    I too love weight training. I do it 5-6 times a week and just love it. It have transformed my body, especially legs so much into muscles. I prefer the weight training now more than my running :)
    I also cannot go without my fitness music which is on my Nokia phone. Will be lost if I loose my cellphone.

    ReplyDelete