Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Traveling and Healthy Eating

I am going to be traveling soon and decided that I will pack more food with me this time. I really do not like airport food or airplane food. There are never any healthy options, and when you don't have healthy options then you are forced to make poor decisions with your food.

I will be packing chicken, which I froze so it will not spoil on my long flight. I will also be packing 2 different kinds of healthy flax muffins(recipe below). Also I will pack fruit and veggies to munch on when I am bored. I have a bad habit of munching when I am bored!

Mixed Berry Flax Muffins

Preheat oven to 375F

1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 1/4 cups egg whites
1 egg
1/4 cup olive oil

2 cups ground flax seeds
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
2 scoops Now Stevia brand
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Frozen mixed berries

Mix all the wet ingredients together with a fork or a whisk. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Add the berries last and mix. Spray a muffin pan or line with muffin liners(I like using the silicon muffin pans the best, food does not stick and the metal pans sometimes peels if they are old). Bake 20-25 minutes until set in the middle.

Silicon Muffin Pan

Banana Cocoa Flax Muffins

The recipe is exactly like the first muffin recipe, except I substitute the apple sauce for 1 large ripe banana and I only add 1 cup of egg whites. I mash the banana then add the wet ingredients. Instead of berries you can add nuts or raisins, or if you really want to treat yourself you can add a few dark chocolate chips!

Bake the banana muffins for only 15 minutes as they are not as moist as the berry muffins.

So healthy, lots of fiber, protein and healthy fats and low in carbs!

2 comments:

  1. I do agree with you that when one do travel, you should pack your own food. Those muffins sure are healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant wait to make these! thank you for the recipe. Ill be sure to tell you how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete