Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Camping and Sabotage


I was out at a lake the other weekend with my family. We didn't go camping but other members of my family did. Like usual I brought my own food- chicken, veggies and fruit- and very happy I did because all there was to eat was hot dogs and chips.

Funny how when we are around a "camping" atmosphere the first thing we want to drink is beer and eat chips and smore's. I did have some beer which I never do, and after when I thought about it, I realized how the beer was not great and a waste of calories. I tend to beat myself up about empty calories.

Walking around this lake resort, I started people watching. I noticed that a lot of these people were overweight and most of them either had alcohol in their hands or some sort of bad food. I went into the convenience store at the lake, and this store was filled with ice cream, candy and pop.

I started to think about all my camping trips I went on when I was a teenager and a young adult, and realized that this is what camping is all about - eating bad food and drinking. I thought about all the greasy breakfasts I have had while camping, the traditional greasy bacon and eggs. Then I thought about all the beer I used to drink and all the smore's I had eaten in the past. No wonder camping is sabotage on our bodies!

Just because you are enjoying the outdoors, does not mean you need to be sabotaging your body and health with greasy, sugary, processed foods. There is absolutely nothing wrong with packing fish, chicken, fruit and veggies on your camping trip. If you want to indulge in a drink or two, by all means do it, but again it is not an excuse to drink a case of beer to yourself. Not only are you ingesting empty calories and may wake up with regret, this can actually be dangerous. There are a lot of people who have drowned during their camping trips because of being drunk.

Even though I am not a big fan of "camping", next time I could try again and I will be planning on nature hikes and swimming. Enjoy nature and the beautiful things that surround you while on your camping trip and keep your hands out of the Doritos bag =)

4 comments:

  1. The camping trips you describe, sounds a lot like the holiday trips we used to have as kids. It was filled with eating bad foods, all day long and the parents used to drink the whole day through. I now wonder how I am going to do this coming December. This coming December will be my first vacation while living healthy. I am going to try my best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try your best! It used to be very hard for me too, but this year I am finally in a different head space about all of this. Of course I dont say that I never eat bad food or drink alcohol, but it is very limited in my life now. I am going away for 3 weeks at the end of December, and it is going to be my biggest challenge yet, and I am determined to eat well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to get clean at camp when you are surrounded by junk food!

    I never drink beer though and may have a cocktail here and there socially. I don't really enjoy the taste of alcohol plus it's a waste of calories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is a waste of calories. I much rather eat a bit of chocolate or pick some other yummy little treat then drink a bunch of alcohol

    ReplyDelete