Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Ugly Side of Competing

This year was an interesting and eye opening year for me. My views about competing have changed dramatically.

This year I have seen it all, and it's quite scary. I have seen what happens to people during competition prep and after the competition is over. I'm not just saying the competitors; trainers as well.

This year on the trainers side of things, I have seen the jealousy; the back-stabbing; the deceitfulness; long friendships gone sour; taking credit for the work of other trainers; and this ugly list keeps going and going.

On another note, I have seen the damage competing can cause in an individual. I have seen how something that should be a positive experience can quickly turn negative. Body image issues are very real, and I am experiencing this myself this year. You wish you can look like how you did on stage, and the post-competition weight plays with your head and makes you feel like you look like a cow when in reality you don't.

I have also seen the obsessiveness post competition in my clients this year; the obsessiveness about working out like a maniac trying to make up for the damage from the night before with bad food or alcohol or the obsessiveness about competing in general. Also this year I have seen eating disorders; the break up of marriages; friendships lost; deceitful behaviour; the use of certain "supplements".

I don't mean to sound negative, but this is reality of the bodybuilding industry.

What also got to me this year, and maybe I felt like this before, is all the people in this industry who are so full of themselves because they may be "well known", or "sponsored", or have a "pro card". Big f**king deal!

I try my hardest to coach anyone who comes to me for training or posing. Not just in these aspects, but I try to prepare them for what may happen post competition, I try to keep them positive as much as possible because this is a very hard goal to achieve. It just makes me so sad to see one of my girls upset after they get off stage.

On a positive note, I have seen the good that can come out of competing. I have seen people change their lives for the better. I have seen the most unhealthiest person become very health conscience and devote their lives to health and fitness. I have also made great friends that will last a lifetime.

I will be taking next year off from competing to focus on myself, my mental well being, my marriage, travelling, friendship, family and focusing on having a balanced lifestyle. I won't be quitting, just taking a well deserved break and hoping to come back to the figure world in 2014 with a fresh mind, and a banging new body!


- Angelique K

2 comments:

  1. I saw some ugliness on stage this year during finals. I did my first competition last month and I did not let it bother me but I also assume that is because I was busy trying to take it all in and was consumed with my own stuff to worry about the people around me.

    Enjoy the year off and I look forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete