Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Monday, February 18, 2013

Adventures of MsFitBC- Costa Rica, 5 Days in La Fortuna

We drove a long way from San Miguel to La Fortuna. Took us 6 hours to get inland to the famous Arenal Volcano area. It was hard to drive away from the beaches, but we needed more adventure, and we sure got it!

Driving in the area we had a very close encounter with a coati, cousin to the raccoon. This little guy was actually blocking traffic. He finally moved to the side of the road where he posed for me while I took a picture. Watch the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axBZEX-Bz4E





He was so cute. I probably shouldn't have fed him, but I really couldn't help it. I gave him some left over corn tortillas and we were on our way.

We finally had a view of the volcano and it took my breath away. So amazing! I don't understand when a person doesn't appreciate nature.





The town of La Fortuna is quite large, and we booked into a hotel right on the main road. It was very convenient for us. We needed to be in a busier place. This is what the town sees everyday....





There was a gym right across the street from our hotel, so you can just image my excitement. We paid for a week pass because it only came out to $10. What a deal!

We went to the La Fortuna waterfall which was really cool. The waterfall area has just over 400 stairs so I decided to run them all the way up. People definitely looked at me like I was crazy, but I didn't care. The waterfall was too touristy for us though, so we decided to hike the Cerro Chato volcano. It has been dormant for years and has a lake in the crater. This was the hardest hike I have ever went on in my life. My calves are still sore, but I'm sure running up the stairs didn't help lol! This hike was a steady climb for 1 1/2 hours, and half the climb were very steep steps. To get to the lake, the climb down was very slippery and steep. We were covered in mud because we had to use our hands to avoid falling to our deaths :)

I wish I had pictures, but I didn't have my iPad with me, boooo! On our hike we saw lots of birds, a turtle and a very long black snake that seemed a little threatened by us, eeeekkk!

We decided to go zip-lining and that was a super fun experience that I definitely recommend! The company's name is Ecoglide. Very professional and fun guys. Again I didn't have my iPad, but I will post pictures another day. There was also the Tarzan swing. That was frightful. I don't think I would scream but I sure did. Think of free falling, then swinging on a very long rope very far into the jungle. The free fall is the part that got me. Check them out here http://www.arenalecoglide.com/indexin.html

We went to the Arenal Natura tour, it was pretty cool to learn about ants and to see crocodiles. The best part was when this little guy jumped on me!






Check out the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arGq5X5TceQ

The best part of the trip is when we hiked at the Arenal National Park. The hike itself is not challenging, but the views of the volcano, lake and the animals you get to see is definitely worth it. Don't hire a guide! You won't see half the stuff we did, the put all their focus on the volcano. We saw wild turkeys, coatis, toucans and the cutest anteater! I was kicking myself because I didn't have my iPad on me again. I'm taking it everywhere from now on!

Had a final workout at Extreme Fitness this morning, my last mocha latte and hit the road to Manuel Antonio for the next 5 days! Lets see what this area has in store for me..

- Angelique K

No comments:

Post a Comment