Buy Programs Online!

Programs

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

What is Hashimoto?



Up until 2 weeks ago I never even hear of this word. I am not joking. I have heard of low thyroid messing with your body and metabolism, but I really honestly didn't think it was so common. The name just sounds devastating. Sounds like a Ninja is about to kick me in the face and tell me I'm screwed.

What is Hashimoto disease?

Hashimoto’s is autoimmune hypothyroidism (low thyroid function) and it’s estimated that 90 percent of people who have low thyroid function do, in fact, have Hashimoto’s. Having thyroid autoimmunity means that there are antibodies in the blood that are launching a “mission sabotage” on the thyroid gland. Whether hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto’s or from iodine deficiency (that is only 10 percent of hypothyroid cases).

Some of the symptoms are: unwarranted fatigue even after a full night’s rest, difficulty losing weight, gaining weight with no change in diet or exercise, hair loss and loss of hair luster, difficulty getting and staying warm, constipation, depression, major brain fog, fluid retention, early graying of hair, food sensitivities(big one for me), gluten sensitivity, dairy intolerance, and dry skin.

Located in the front of your neck, the thyroid gland makes hormones that control metabolism. This includes your heart rate and how quickly your body uses calories from the foods you eat.

The exact cause of Hashimoto's is not known, but many factors are believed to play a role. They include:

Genes. People who get Hashimoto's often have family members who have thyroid disease or other autoimmune diseases. This suggests a genetic component to the disease.

Hormones. Hashimoto's affects about seven times as many women as men, suggesting that sex hormones may play a role. Furthermore, some women have thyroid problems during the first year after having a baby. Although the problem usually goes away, as many as 20% of these women develop Hashimoto's years later.

So if any of these symptoms sounds like you, don't freak out. First thing to do is get blood work done. Demand a test not only for your TSH(thyroid stimulating hormone), but also for your T3, T4 and TPO(Thyroid peroxidase). Your TPO is the one that will be all messed up and that is the result that you will need. If the test results come back with your TPO too high, then you will have Hashimoto's disease.

Second thing you HAVE TO DO, is change your diet ASAP. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. You have to, or you are going to be one sorry person when you are older. Hashimoto can lead to other awful diseases like diabetes and multiple sclerosis. So don't just think about it, TAKE YOUR HEALTH SERIOUSLY!! You can't just half ass it, you need to dive in 100% and learn from mistakes along the way. That's it. Your life will be much more enjoyable not feeling like shit everyday, and not feeling like you haven't woken up yet from last Thursday. If you don't take this seriously, YOU WILL GAIN WEIGHT, you will put on fat so fast. This will be the worst part.

Third thing you need to do is BE ACTIVE AND WORKOUT. You aren't going to do yourself any favours being lazy with this disease. If you are already work out, work harder. If you aren't doing anything at the moment, well you better start. You have so many options to choose from, and the weather is starting to get nicer, so get off your ass and MOVE. 

So what sort of diet should you do? You need to go on the Autoimmune Paleo diet, and you have to be prepared that this may be for life. You need to get those toxins and allergins out of your body in order to feel better. I already feel better, more clear in my head and way more energy just doing this for two weeks. I dropped weight that came on suddenly, and my lower belly that has been gaining fat "mysteriously" has suddenly shrunk. That's inflammation that was keeping that area puffy and jiggly on me. It has been a very annoying part of my body for years, and I first blamed it on all the beers I used to drink in my early 20's. Then I blamed age. I cleared this problem up in two weeks.

Be prepared to feel annoyed and hate food. I sure did for about half a day, and realized I need to smarten up and figure my shit out or I would be starving. Coconut is great for your thyroid and I am so glad I always loved it. I have been enjoying dumping a full can of coconut milk with all the fat in my soups and other recipes. Get the coconut milk that has no fillers, and no Guar Gum. That is made from a legume and legumes are not part of the Autoimmune Diet.

Do your research. I have found many great websites talking about Hashimoto's, and natural ways to try to help your situation. I am not on medication for this, and this will be my last resort if I need it. I cannot stand synthetic drugs and refuse to take them unless I need to. Some great websites I have enjoyed reading are http://wellnessmama.com/22689/autoimmune-diet/ and also https://drknews.com/autoimmune-gut-repair-diet/.

So dump your gluten addiction, your sugar addiction, your weekly beers and shots, and start ACTUALLY living. You want to feel good in life, and you won't if you feel like you are part of the Walking Dead cast. I'm here to help. Follow my journey, take advantage of my recipes and learn a lot about yourself and your body. Life is too short to feel like garbage all the time.

Twitter: @msfitbc
Instagram: Angeliquekrone

No comments:

Post a Comment